Fwd: KDevelop 1.0beta1.. Great work, keep it up!

Sandy Meier smeier at rz.uni-potsdam.de
Tue Aug 3 14:51:30 UTC 1999

Some nice words. :-)

Subject: KDevelop 1.0beta1.. Great work, keep it up!
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 14:18:51 +0000
From: Ben Hall <bhall at omega.scs.carleton.ca>

Hello,

I just thought you'd find it interesting to know that Carleton
University School of Computer Science will be including KDevelop 1.0
Beta1 in their new Linux systems to be installed by September.

I am primarily responsible with the selection of software to be
installed, and we've been looking for a high quality IDE for people
coming from Visual C++, seems as though we've found it.

I personally use either XEmacs or gvim, but many people have already
commented on the completeness and integration of KDevelop 0.4.  Everyone
is particularly impressed with the documentation available, and the GUI
builder.

Now with 1.0 on the horizon, we will have an excellent, stable IDE for
Linux.  I am very proud and impressed with your work, installing all of
the support packages was a pain, but well worth it.

So here's the numbers:  KDevelop will be put on 20+ Linux machines,
based on Linux Mandrake 6.0 and using WindowMaker as the WM.  The
machines have KDE 1.1.1 and GNOME 1.0.x installed.   These 20 machines
will be accessed by 2000+ students, most of whom have many courses in
C/C++ and Java.

It is applications like this, and the upcoming KOffice, that are really
pushing the envelop of OpenSource software, in a few more years, perhaps
all of the labs here will be running Linux exclusively!

Great work, and thank you.

Ben Hall
School of Computer Science
Carleton University
bhall at scs.carleton.ca

(BTW, opinions expressed are my own, and not Carleton's, or the
School's)