Some Kmail accounts fail

Tony Bazeley tonyb at tonyb.id.au
Thu Jun 13 03:45:55 BST 2024

After a software update around 6 June, I have problems with 2 of 4 IMAP
accounts.
Those accounts are with the same email server.

The error message on trying to update an inbox folder is “Unable to
fetch item from backend (collection -1):Unable to contact resource”
The accounts are coloured red.
I’m unable to access the settings for those accounts. The receiving
entry shows "Retrieving folders (0%)’
Attempting to modify the receiving account settings results in a very
brief display of a small box - too fast for me to read the contents.

I can use the wizard to establish the accounts again, and on doing so
the account seems to be established normally, mailboxes and contents are
established, but shortly after the  same behavior returns

I’m using an up to date version of Neon, Kmail version 6.1.0 (24.05.0).
dpkg.log tells me: 2024-06-06 10:31:06 status installed kmail:amd64
4:24.05.0-0xneon+22.04+jammy+release+build63

The problem is not experienced when using Thunderbird to access the same
accounts and I can reproduce the fault on another machine.

Does a schema of the conceptual architecture  exist? - it appears
Thunderbird and Kmail share common elements
Do kmail logs exist and if so where might I find them.

Thanks
Tony Bazeley