email already read shows as unread when checking mail

Erik Quaeghebeur mail.kde.org at e3q.eu
Thu Feb 22 08:50:26 GMT 2024

On donderdag 22 februari 2024 09:29:11 CET, Axel Braun wrote:

> Switching to postgres is not rocket science, use your preferred
> search engine.
> Just be aware that each new major postgres version requires a
> manual database conversion, which are in the end of the day just
> 4 steps, but one has to take them.

Be aware that the developers seem to recommend the sqlite backend
<https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-pim/2023-April/049426.html> nowadays.
Switching to a new database (like SQLite) is not the nicest transition,
though:
https://userbase.kde.org/Akonadi/en#How_do_I_switch_from_MySQL/PostgreSQL_to_SQLite?

I've been using SQLite for multiple years now and it performed better than
the MySQL backend when I started. Akonadi still is not good enough though,
as it has too many remaining syncing issues. Because of that, I have an
akonadiconsole open, e.g., to deal with (delete) entries missing a remote
id. akonadiconsole can also be used to delete Akonadi's cache and doing
some may sometimes fix synchronization issues. I do not use POP3 (I swear
by IMAP if I can get it, as I find it to be the least bad option), so I do
not know what the backend for it looks like and what (dangerous) impact
deleting Akonadi's cache may have.

Success,

Erik