FW: Company usage of Kleopatra

Andre Heinecke aheinecke at gnupg.org
Thu Nov 30 09:54:42 GMT 2023

Hi Dhivyai,

On Thursday, 30 November 2023 10:02:24 CET Ben Cooksley wrote:
> Thanks for reaching out to us regarding the licensing of Kleopatra.

To be honest I find it a bit annoying that you work for a large company and
write to two Mailing Lists regarding a legal question where a look in the
about dialog would have answered your question.

> There are no separate terms for the use of any KDE software, including
> Kleopatra.
> All our software is licensed equally to all persons regardless of who they
> are, and is free of charge.
>
> Depending on who you are obtaining your copies of Kleopatra from though
> they may (as a distributor) charge fees however that is unrelated to us.

This is true, but since many people may ask why there is also a commercial
distribution of Kleopatra (GnuPG VS-Desktop) let me explain a bit further. I
think that is also where the question may come from.
We publish the same Software (in a bit different Versions as GnuPG VS-Desktop
uses some different branches) also free of charge as Gpg4win or for Linux the
GnuPG AppImage.

But companies (or Governments), often times require a supplier for legal
reasons. e.g. if you want to use us with restricted documents you need someone
that is a "supplier" of the software. So that someone is responsible for
Support, Security Updates and even just normal "Bugs".

So we at gnupg.com (Where I work for) take the responsibility, give support,
work with the approval agencies and so on and so forth and charge you "Support
license" fees.

That way we can finance the development of GnuPG, Kleopatra and some others
things and keep everything completely free as in freedom. The only thing that
is not free is our brand name "GnuPG VS-Desktop" everything else you can
compile for yourself and there is no open core / proprietary patches or
anything that is not licensed under GPL terms 🥳

Best Regards,
Andre

--
GnuPG.com - a brand of g10 Code, the GnuPG experts.

g10 Code GmbH, Erkrath/Germany, AG Wuppertal HRB14459
GF Werner Koch, USt-Id DE215605608, www.g10code.com.

GnuPG e.V., Rochusstr. 44, D-40479 Düsseldorf.  VR 11482 Düsseldorf
Vorstand: W.Koch, B.Reiter, A.Heinecke        Mail: board at gnupg.org
Finanzamt D-Altstadt, St-Nr: 103/5923/1779.   Tel: +49-211-28010702