continued unread read emails problem

Peter Humphrey peter at prh.myzen.co.uk
Thu Nov 9 07:19:41 GMT 2023

On Thursday, 9 November 2023 07:03:29 GMT Ianseeks wrote:
> On Thursday, 9 November 2023 04:45:44 GMT John White wrote:
> > Hate to keep bothering this list with the same problem, but today all of a
> > sudden some 20 emails which I had received and read on November 1, 2023
> > showed up again as unread. A very big time-consuming bother.  Any help
> > with this long-standing problem is appreciated.
>
> The only time i had a similar problem was when i was using POP3 and myql as
> the database server.  Since moving to IMAP and postgresql, i've not had any
> kmail issues like this

My experience is similar: I haven't changed to Postgress, but I have installed
a local server to fetch POP mails from my ISP and serve them to KMail as IMAP.
I won't say that no phantom resurrections have happened since then, but if any
they must be very few.

I think the real problem in KMail is in handling locally stored emails. POP3
mails have to be, but IMAP4 don't.

In a half-way stage, I used to download all messages from the server, as
though I was still using POP3, and I continued seeing the problem John
describes. They're now largely in the past, as I said, and that's why I
suspect the handling of locally stored messages.

Peter.