Postgres problem - still not working

Martin Steigerwald martin at lichtvoll.de
Tue Nov 7 09:04:29 GMT 2023

Ianseeks - 31.10.23, 17:49:38 CET:
> I managed to get the database converted from postgresql13 to
> postgresql16 but i still can't get akonadi loaded as it fails starting
> the postgresql, its failing with a message saying it needs ver 9.6
> (that was the version i used when i first converted to postgresql many
> moons ago).
> I can't see why it insists on ver 9.6 being there and it doesn't seem to
> be in the repos anymore.
[…]
> This is my  .config/akonadi/akonadiserverrc file which worked happily
> before
>
> [Debug]
> Tracer=null
>
> [%General]
> Driver=QPSQL
>
> [QPSQL]
> Host=/run/user/1001/akonadi
> InitDbPath=/usr/bin/initdb
> Name=akonadi
> Options=
> ServerPath=/usr/bin/pg_ctl
> StartServer=true

On Devuan Ceres (similar to Debian Sid) I have:

% cat .config/akonadi/akonadiserverrc
[Debug]
Tracer=null

[%General]
Driver=QPSQL

[QPSQL]
Host=/tmp/akonadi-martin.wTqoXj
InitDbPath=/usr/lib/postgresql/15/bin/initdb
Name=akonadi
Options=
ServerPath=/usr/lib/postgresql/15/bin/pg_ctl
StartServer=true

I wonder why the path to the binaries are not versioned in your case, but
that may be a difference in OpenSUSE.

However, I'd make sure with rpm -qf whether the files referenced in your
akonadiserverrc really belong to the PostgreSQL 16 server package.

You could also move the configuration out of the way and see what standard
configuration Akonadi would come up with.

> -----
> Here are the error messages.
>
> --------------
> akonadictl start
> org.kde.pim.akonadictl: Starting Akonadi Server...
> org.kde.pim.akonadictl:    done.
> ~> Connecting to deprecated signal
> QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString)
> org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: Starting up the Akonadi Server...
> (QFileInfo(/usr/lib/postgresql/bin),
> QFileInfo(/usr/lib/postgresql/lib64)) QSqlDatabase: QPSQL driver not
> loaded
> QSqlDatabase: available drivers: QSQLITE QMARIADB QMYSQL QMYSQL3

Hmmm, look at that: It appears you do not have the PostgreSQL backend
installed. Well that would explain why Akonadi can not start PostgreSQL.

> org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: Invalid database object during database
> server startup

That may also explain above error message.

At least in Devuan database backends of Akonadi are packaged in separate
packages. I'd make sure to only have the PostgreSQL backend installed and
no other one.

> THis is from "systemctl status postgresql.service"

By default Akonadi does not use the system-wide PostgreSQL server, but
starts one with user permissions. Did you configure it to use a system-wide
one? From your akonadiserverrc it does not seem so.

In case you divert from the default, you basically have to learn parts of
database administration at least and understand what Akonadi is doing
here. Should not be needed for running a PIM suite, but it is what it is.

And even if you go with the default MariaDB it may be the case. I hope
that once SQLite is default, I can put away my database administrator hat.
It should not be needed for running a mail program.

Ciao,
--
Martin