base-64 ignored

gene heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Fri May 27 11:34:57 BST 2022

On Friday, 27 May 2022 03:11:58 EDT Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Freitag, 27. Mai 2022 00:46:20 CEST rhkramer at gmail.com wrote:
> > >
> > > Ah, okay. So the line got word-wrapped in your email. No, / is a
> > > legal
> > > char
> > > in base64. Maybe the end of the base64-encoded data is broken. Try
> > > decoding the data with `base64 --decode`.
> >
> > Some information I found says / is not a legal character in base64:
> >
> > "For encoding data, Base64 uses only alphabet, number and = symbol.
> > For instance, c2FtcGxlCg== is a valid encoded data while
> > b?HV3.Zh2J== is not a valid encoded data."
>
> This statement is incorrect.
>
> There are only 2*26 letters (in the English alphabet) and 10 digits.
> Therefore the base64 alphabet adds '+' and '/' to get 64 different
> symbols. '=' is not a legal base64 symbol. It is only used for
> padding.
>
> See either the definite specification of Base64 at
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc4648
> or the more easily digestible
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Base64#Base64_table_from_RFC_4648.
>
> Regards,
> Ingo

My point Ingo, is that kmail makes no attempt to decode the base64 in at
least 80% of the incoming mail. Methinks there is a broken mimetype
somewhere. In one of my first posts in this thread, there was extra data
on the end of the Boundary statement, but no one commented on that, which
seems odd?

The opening statement:
------=_Part_29546_1281477845.1653517724260
The closing statement:
------=_Part_29546_1281477845.1653517724260--
The question becomes: Where did the extra "--" come from?

As IUI, those statements must match in order to trigger a new evaluation
of a mimetype. They do not match.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis