Ghost emails

gene heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Thu May 19 13:58:46 BST 2022

On Tuesday, 17 May 2022 10:45:23 EDT Peter Humphrey wrote:
> On Tuesday, 17 May 2022 08:32:35 BST Ianseeks wrote:
> > Drat, everything coming in is duplicating now.  I'm going to have to
> > delete akonadi DB and rebuild in the vain hope that will fix it.

kmail version:
Version 5.15.3 (20.08.3)
debian version:
gene at coyote:~$ cat /etc/issue
Debian GNU/Linux 11 \n \l
libraries:
KDE Frameworks 5.78.0
Qt 5.15.2 (built against 5.15.2)
The xcb windowing system

> 1.  This may work for you; it's what I used to do when deluged with
> duplicates.
>
> Stop KMail and run akonadiconsole.

did that

> Taking one folder at a time,

local folders menu is empty.  imap folder is empty

> right-click on it in the Browse window and delete its akonadi cache.

How can I browse or right click when window is empty?

> Exit akonadiconsole, akonadictl stop
did that
> ... wait until it has ...
waited till couldn't be found to stop.
> akonadictl start.
did that too.
> Start KMail and click on the folder you've just cleared. It should
> repopulate from the SQL database.

No action taken, so no change. Obviously theres something I'm missing,
but what?

> Repeat for other folders.
>
> 2.  Another trick worth trying is as follows - and it may not be safe
> unless you have all emails stored locally, not on an IMAP server. No
> guarantees.

I do, I read nearly all mail from local folders on my own machine, put in
those local folders by kmails filters, although some do live in the
inbox. Probably 50 unclassifiable messages there, no problem with them.

> After stopping the delivery of emails, remove all duplicates from a
> particular folder, by hand if need be, then make an archive of that
> folder. (You may get a complaint that a message can't be archived, in
> which case you may still have a duplicate of it.) Delete the folder,
> then import messages from the archive you've just made*, telling it to
> remove duplicates. With any luck you'll then have a clean folder, and
> it shouldn't create any more duplicates - until the next time, of
> course.
>
> *  I prefer to unpack the .tar.bz2 and input KMail folder and directory
> structure: it's better at stripping out duplicates than just importing
> from the archive file.
>
> HTH.
> --
> Regards,
> Peter.

Thank you for any help that actually works.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis