Ghost emails

Peter Humphrey peter at prh.myzen.co.uk
Tue May 17 15:45:23 BST 2022

On Tuesday, 17 May 2022 08:32:35 BST Ianseeks wrote:

> Drat, everything coming in is duplicating now.  I'm going to have to delete
> akonadi DB and rebuild in the vain hope that will fix it.

1.  This may work for you; it's what I used to do when deluged with
duplicates.

Stop KMail and run akonadiconsole. Taking one folder at a time, right-click on
it in the Browse window and delete its akonadi cache. Exit akonadiconsole,
akonadictl stop ... wait until it has ... akonadictl start.

Start KMail and click on the folder you've just cleared. It should repopulate
from the SQL database.

Repeat for other folders.

2.  Another trick worth trying is as follows - and it may not be safe unless
you have all emails stored locally, not on an IMAP server. No guarantees.

After stopping the delivery of emails, remove all duplicates from a particular
folder, by hand if need be, then make an archive of that folder. (You may get
a complaint that a message can't be archived, in which case you may still have
a duplicate of it.) Delete the folder, then import messages from the archive
you've just made*, telling it to remove duplicates. With any luck you'll then
have a clean folder, and it shouldn't create any more duplicates - until the
next time, of course.

*  I prefer to unpack the .tar.bz2 and input KMail folder and directory
structure: it's better at stripping out duplicates than just importing from
the archive file.

HTH.
Peter.