Kontact restart method

Martin Steigerwald martin at lichtvoll.de
Thu Mar 3 10:08:58 GMT 2022

Tony Bazeley - 03.03.22, 05:25:34 CET:
> Does an appropriate method exist to restore normal function without
> rebooting the entire machine?

For me it usually helps to to "akonadictl stop ; akonadictl start".
However it is important to make sure that really all Akonadi and
database processes are gone.

Sometimes I had a database process still hanging around. Just yesterday
on one installation a MariaDB process that did not even respond to
SIGTERM.

On other occasions an Akonadi process crashed and DrKonqi the crash
manager still kept it around. So I recommend to look in your systray for
any crash notifications and click them away (or do a bug report, but read
below)

> Using Version 5.13.3 (19.12.3)
> KDE Frameworks 5.68.0
> Qt 5.12.8 (built against 5.12.8)
> The /xcb/ windowing system

These are quite old versions. I recommend to upgrade.

However, even with KDEPIM and Akonadi 21.08 (waiting for 21.12 to appear
in Devuan) I still have stability and performance issues.

Akonadi never ever really worked 100% or even 99% okay for me. And I'd
wish that stability, performance and maintainability would be top
priorities for development. I don't need new features as long as it just
does not work reliable.

As it is not on my to decide on priorities for those who do the work and
I do not see myself doing this work either, partly because of the
complexity of Akonadi that I never ever really completely understood,
although I digged quite deeply, I am closer than ever to switch to
something else.

It is frustrating to still see grave stability issues with Akonadi after
what meanwhile is way more than 10 years of development.

Best,
--
Martin