switching to the cloud

Bjoern Bidar bjorn.bidar at thaodan.de
Fri Jul 1 15:25:19 BST 2022

Hey,

> 1.  She wants to load her existing kmail files on her new computer,
> including all historical emails. She has POP3 emails.  Suggestions re
> helping her do this are appreciated.  My suggestion to her was to archive
> her files to a usb stick and then import the archived files to her new
> machine.
You can do that. Using the Maildir ressource you should be able to move all
the mails into a folder on the machine that is visible in kmail.
(Settings->Accounts -> Receiving -> Add -> Custom Account -> Maildir)

> 2.  She is also thinking that she might out to switch from pop3 to imap so
> she could access her current (up to date) information from both her home
> and her office desktops.  Any suggestions that might help her do this?  She
> is afraid that the switch from pop3 to imap will not let her access her 3
> years of stored kmails.  She put the question to me as follows: "The intent
> would be to access my kmail through my dropbox account from any computer
> which I may log into for work and still be able to access all of my kmail
> history."

If wouldn't suggest that since the email that contain confidential data would
go to a third-party service.
Even when using such a service using a private account is usually not advised.

I would suggest to move the existing emails on to the IMAP server.
You can simly drag and drop the emails around to the imap server.
Doing it this way also removes the need to transfer the emails.

Best Regards,

Björn Bidar