Kmail/kontact won't start

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Tue Aug 16 08:37:21 BST 2022

On Dienstag, 16. August 2022 04:27:22 CEST Michael Hirsch wrote:
> Ever since I upgraded to kubuntu 22.04 (from the previous LTS), when I
> try to start kontact or kmail, it says that "The Akonadi
> personal information system is not running."
>
> When I try to run akonadi_control I get
> ~> akonadi_control help
> Connecting to deprecated signal
> QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString)
> org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: Starting up the Akonadi Server...
> org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: mysqld not found. Please verify your installation
> org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: Shutting down AkonadiServer...
> org.kde.pim.akonadicontrol: Application '/usr/bin/akonadiserver'
> exited normally...
>
> So apparently my upgrade got rid of MySQL.  And I don't see it in the
> list of installable packages.

That's weird. MySQL is available in Ubuntu 22.04 (and thus should also be
available in Kubuntu):
https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=mysql&searchon=names&suite=jammy&section=all

Or you install the MySQL-replacement MariaDB:
https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?suite=jammy&section=all&keywords=mariadb&searchon=names