Kmail - greyed out emails

Ianseeks bingmybong at btinternet.com
Sun Apr 3 09:48:04 BST 2022

On Saturday, 2 April 2022 14:02:38 BST Erik Quaeghebeur wrote:
> Dear Ian,

> > > One possibility is that the mails got the \Deleted flag set in some way. With akonadiconsole it is possible to delete such mails o remove their \Deleted flag.
> > >
> > > So install akonadiconsole if you do not have it already. Then open the browser tab, navigate to the folder where the greyed=out mails are present. Change the view as necessary to find the mails that are greyed out in KMail. You can select all of them and right click. In the context menu that appears, you have the option to delete them. You can also, after selecting one mail, below right remove the \Deleted flag from a mail, if present (do not forget to press Save).
> > >
> > > If a \Deleted flag being set is not the issue, I do not know what could be the issue.
> >
> > None of the greyed out emails show up in the browser, in fact no emails show in that folder at all even though there are lots there.
>
> That is extremely puzzling. Both kmail and akonadiconsole are essentially frontends to the akonadi database. The latter is a bit more low-level and should more closely represent what is in the database. It does not make sense that kmail should be able to show entries while akonadiconsole cannot. (I assume your restarted kmail so that any in-memory data structures have been reloaded from the akonadi database.)
>
> * If you look at other folders and resources/accounts in akonadiconsole's browser, does their content correspond to what you see in kmail/kaddressbook/…?
In the Collection window, the Folder with the greyed out emails it does say 15 in the unread column (which is correct) and 801 in the Total column but no emails are in the subject window.
For the rest of the folders in the Collection window:-
all the folders have a number in the Total column but with some folders, there are no emails in the Subject window and in other folders there are a few emails but not as many as it says in the Total column.

> * In the Agents tab, are there any resources with errors or off-line?
All "Ready"

> * In the DB Browser tab, selecting the PimItemTable and sorting on ‘dirty’ (1 before 0), are there any entries with 1 in that column?
5 items set to True but  "datetime" 2020/21 with "atime" 2020/21/22

Thanks for your responses
Ian

--
opensuse:tumbleweed:20220331
Qt: 5.15.2 KDE Frameworks: 5.92.0 - KDE Plasma:  5.24.3 - kwin 5.24.3