Akonadi with PostgreSQL 14

Martin Steigerwald martin at lichtvoll.de
Sat Nov 13 10:32:00 GMT 2021

Bjoern Bidar - 12.11.21, 23:27:05 CET:
> I think that's why you are unhappy with Akonadi.
> Witn software like this there are cases that are hard to reproduce.

No. There are non issues with Akonadi. For a long time.

> So if you want to have those fixes it's up to you to write to
> reproduce them and write a bug report.

Did you look at the bug tracker before claiming this? Over the years I
have reported a lot of bugs. But I basically have given up on it.

I really appreciate all the effort developers put into KDEPIM/Akonadi. It
is a lot of effort. It is clearly visible.

Yet there are issues with Akonadi that are basically there since its
inception. It got better offer time and worse and better…

Thing is: It is a free software volunteer project. I have no right to
ask anyone to fix any of those issues. I see that. Yet, I see myself also
not in the position to do it myself. At least it seems likely that in
the end migrating to say Evolution would be more achievable for me. And
I meanwhile believe that for fixing those I'd probably have to go where
KDEPIM developers don't want to go. *Rethink everything* and *redo from
scratch*. That conclusion may be wrong. It may all be fixable. Yet over
the year I have seen KDEPIM developers that are tons more competent than
me when it comes to develop in C/C++ have a serious effort at this and
eventually not following it through to the end.

Please educate on some of the history behind this before jumping to
premature conclusions.

Anyway… I did not want to follow-up on my post. It is just that I
responded to another reply. My current question would be the PostgreSQL
with Akonadi thing. Michael replied to it already and it does not sound
to convincing at the moment to try switching to PostgreSQL 14. Maybe it
is just some database config setting that needs to be changed, but at the
moment I have no time to research it. That is exactly the thing: The
user of mail and PIM application should not ever have to be a database
administrator.

So either implement it in a way that works. Or don't use a full-blown
database. Firefox, Chromium, Digikam and so on… all use a database. Yet
I never had anything to deal with it. Yeah, I know there is a tip to
vacuum the SQLite3 databases for Firefox once in a while, but I didn't
do that since ages and it just works.

Anyway… no need to talk about it any further. It is on me to decide what
do to. Either I continue using KDEPIM and Akonadi and deal with the
issues and then there is no need to complain about it repeatedly cause
it is all said and all known already. Or I switch and say goodbye.

So let us focus on Akonadi with PostgreSQL 14. Do you have anything to
contribute to that topic?

> I'm using Akonadi with PostgreSQL, at times with similar count of
> emails and don't have  or had such problems.
> Either with EWS or IMAP as backend.

Maybe that is an issue. I am using Maildir with POP3 mainly.

However I also have IMAP and IMAP still has quite an amount of issues
that are totally reproducable for me. Like needlessly synchronizing
folders. I just need hit the delete button in a folder for about 5-10
times and it causes a resynchronization most of the time => Wait. Then I
hit it again, another resynchronization.

Wait it is… every time Akonadi is occupied with a background operation
like synchronizing a folder. Yet I claim: It is a bug. The user goes
first. If I click a mail it means pause all the background stuff and show
it to me already. At least when the goal of KDEPIM and Akonadi is that
the user is in charge.

Also one of the bugs I reported.

> My system:
> Operating System: Arch Linux
> KDE Plasma Version: 5.23.2
> KDE Frameworks Version: 5.87.0
> Qt Version: 5.15.2
> Kernel Version: 5.14.13-pf6-1 (64-bit)
> Graphics Platform: X11
> Processors: 64 × AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X 32-Core Processor
> Memory: 62.7 GiB of RAM
> Graphics Processor: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT

Devuan Ceres. KDEPIM/Akonadi 21.08.1 on KF 5.86.0 and Qt 5.15.2.

Ciao,
--
Martin