Message too long

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Mon May 10 07:55:18 BST 2021

On Sonntag, 9. Mai 2021 22:35:43 CEST John White wrote:
> Of late I have been getting the following error after sending an email on my
> Debian buster (kmail 5.9.3, pop 3) system:
>
> "message has lines too long for transport"
>
> This seems to happen with long html addresses.  Putting the long address in
> the subject line seems to help.
>
> Any thoughts?

There is a limit of 998 characters per line that some email servers enforce.
Since HTML addresses cannot be split into several lines without breaking them,
it's possible that very long addresses exceed this limit. If the HTML address
triggering the error is less than 998 characters long, then KMail might be
doing something wrong.

For the Subject (and other headers like the From and To addresses) there are
special rules which allow splitting long lines into smaller lines without
breaking HTML addresses.