Violation maximum line length (RFC 2822) for forwared mails

rhkramer at gmail.com rhkramer at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 20:33:56 GMT 2021

On Thursday, March 04, 2021 12:57:02 PM Peter Humphrey wrote:
> On Thursday, 4 March 2021 13:22:47 GMT rhkramer at gmail.com wrote:
> > On Thursday, March 04, 2021 03:43:06 AM Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> > >  KMail does not properly (if at all) fold long header fields.
> >
> > From the peanut gallery: I find the use of the word "fold" (especially in
> > the Unix / Linux world) somewhat ambiguous.
> >
> > Some people / contexts seem to mean the breaking of a line into shorter
> > lines by the addition of line ends (trying to remember the right word) --
> > sort of a permanent change to the text.
>
> That's breaking, not folding.

I don't intend to argue with you, just to point out that some number of people
describe it as folding.

> > Other people / contexts seem to mean the ability of some software
> > (typically some text editors / word processors) to hide portions of the
> > text, leaving (typically) only one leading line and some kind of marker
> > (typically in the left margin) that can be clicked to reveal the text
> > that was hidden. (Leaving a different marker than can be used to re-hide
> > the text.)
>
> That's neither breaking nor folding: just showing that the line is longer
> than what you're seeing.

I don't intend to argue with you, just to point out that many people involved
in developing or using editors describe it as folding.

> > Still other people may mean simply the ability (of some software) to wrap
> > a long line that would normally stream off to the right so that it
> > appears as multiple lines in the "normal" view (to the right of the
> > screen), with no need to horizontally scroll (to the left) to view the
> > remainder of the line.
>
> That's folding.

If you have some magic way of getting all people to use words (in particular,
"folding" in the same way, please do so, and let me know.

Have a good day!