Violation maximum line length (RFC 2822) for forwared mails

Rainer Dorsch ml at bokomoko.de
Wed Mar 3 20:50:53 GMT 2021

Hi,

I see from time to time that mail I want to forward as attachment get rejected
by my exim mail server due to a violation of the maximum line length. This is
specified as 998 characters in RFC 2822

I observed that so far just if I try to forward mails as attachment. The
original email which I forward seems to be compliant (I have here one with a
maximum line length of 94 characters).

I observed this on kmail in Debian buster and in Debian bullseye, i.e. 18.08.3
and 20.08.3, respectively.

I asked on the exim-user mailing list for confirmation if this is a kmail bug:
https://lists.exim.org/lurker/thread/20210303.123004.b89767ee.en.html

Is that a known kmail issue?

Many thanks
Rainer