Have i got kmail configured wrong?

Ianseeks bingmybong at btinternet.com
Tue Jan 5 10:41:50 GMT 2021

On Tuesday, 5 January 2021 08:49:08 GMT Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Dienstag, 5. Januar 2021 09:13:23 CET Ianseeks wrote:
> > The question i have only happens once (each session) on each folder as I
> > click on it.  I get a rolling count at the bottom of the folder list
> > "Processed xxx Messages of xxxx" - why does this happen every time, why
> > does it not only process the new emails in the folder?  I was wondering if
> > this was configurable.
>
> KMail "processes" the messages for displaying them as list (e.g. sorting them,
> grouping them, threading them, depending on your settings). This processing
> should be fast (except for very large folders). KMail remembers the result of
> the processing as long as KMail is running. Therefore it only happens once per
> session and folder.

I do use "date & time" sorting and "Current Activity & Threading".  Its a shame it can't remember it and just add to it.  I'll have to start archiving or deleting old emails because the larger folders are taking longer and longer to process which gets a bit tedious (I log out a lot of times during the day as i have multiple users on this machine).

> If you see this also for smaller folders, then you may have chosen an
> expensive sorting or aggregation mode. I'm using the "Simple Mailing List"
> aggregation and haven't noticed the "Processed ..." progress messages for
> quite some time.

Thanks for the explanation.

> Regards,
> Ingo

regards

Ian

--
opensuse:tumbleweed:20210103
Qt: 5.15.2 KDE Frameworks: 5.77.0 - KDE Plasma:  5.20.4 - kwin 5.20.4