filter problem kmail5 in bullseye

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Mon Dec 13 15:27:34 GMT 2021

On Mon, 13 Dec, 2021 at 6:16 AM, Anders Lund <anders at alweb.dk> wrote:

To: kdepim-users at kde.org
Hi Gene,

First, I do not have problems with filters, I use them to sepearate mails from
lists and in some cases mails from certain senders into folders.

I use only IMAP accounts.

So do I, Anders, but when I'm all setup, fetchmail/procmail will deliver the imap data
to a local maildir, where kmail will pick it up and sort it. Historicly that has

been synced by an inotifywait seeing that file closing and sending the
old kmail a dbus msg to go get the mail. This removed the long pauses
where the old kmail was frozen in the middle of typing a reply for however

long it it took for kmail to fetch new mail, reducing that freeze to a few
milliseconds. I have the fetch part working, but not the dbus part yet.

But really, I wanted to ask if you are familliar with akonadictl, which is a
tool to maintain akonadi? You can start, stop and restart akonadi, and also do
a vacuum (remove empty data rows) and fsck (checking and repairing data
structures), both of which helps cleaning up your data. I rarely need to use
it, but during problems it has been a great help.

No, I am not familiar with that tool, and Unforch, akonadictl is not in the

bullseye repo's.

There is also a tool named akonadiconsole, which is more like a debugging
tool, it allows you to inspect your data graphically. I can't remember when I
last needed to use it, but that too have been helpful in understanding
problems during troubled periods.

That is present in the repo's and installed. The khelpcenter docs however
are not in the repo's, I just searched using about 7 search recipes.

Finally, since akonadi is only a proxy for the data, removing it's databases
and files does not lead to data loss. If everything is really fucked up, that
may be worth considering, even if it means setting everything up from scratch.

The akonadi console runs, and shows me things in abbreviated format that
means little or nothing to me without docs.

How does one register that as a showstopper bug?

Kindly,
Anders

Take care and stay well, Anders.
Cheers, Gene