now I really broke it.

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Tue Dec 7 14:45:17 GMT 2021

On Tue, 7 Dec, 2021 at 2:22 AM, Ianseeks <bingmybong at btinternet.com> wrote:

To: kdepim-users at kde.org
On Tuesday, 7 December 2021 01:42:29 GMT Gene Heskett wrote:
> Somehow I have managed to turn off the menu-bar. A reinstall did not restore it.
>

> How can I restore it?

Have you tried Ctrl-M?

Worked, but why is it not in the help manual? OTOH, w/o the menu bar,
help is not available. :(

All the changes in kde5 are strange to me since the kmail I've used for
around a decade is kmail-1.9 from the TDE desktop, which is a fork of
KDE-3.5 with lots of its plethora of bugs fixed. And it Just Works.

But I'm a stranger in a strange land with bullseye on nearly all SSD's now.
I have 5 other machines here, all running buster, and they Just Work for
what they do, 1 is a pi4b running a 3/4 ton lathe, 3 Dell-i5 boxes also
running LinuxCNC on another smaller lathe and 2, 4 axis milling machines,
those all with realtime kernels, and a 4th dell-i5 with 16Gb of ram running
OpenSCAD and cura to make gcode files for a Prusa Mk3S 3d printer.

But bullseye is a whole new game. And KMail-5.13.3 apparently cannot read a
mailfile, until someone tells me how to make it do it. It also ignores an attempt
to make a maildir out of /var/mail, which currently has two msg.#####

individual mail files delivered by procmail living there, but kmail-5 can't see

them either. I do not think its even looking where its configured to look.

There is zero output in the logging line at the bottom of the screen. And I'm
seeing dbus complaining about perms in the logs.

So whats next to troubleshoot as to why kmail-5, which did "import" about

12GB of old mail, but refuses to even make an attempt at reading new mail
in either maildir or mailfile formats?

Looking at account-settings, it report it is a valid maildir but refuses to read
the two that are there now. Here is an ls -l of whats there right now:

total 17568

drwxr-sr-x 2 gene gene     4096 Dec  6 19:18 cur
-rw------- 1 gene gene 17956209 Dec  6 19:12 gene
-rw------- 1 gene gene     5768 Dec  2 06:03 msg.IpAPD
-rw------- 1 gene gene     4565 Dec  2 07:11 msg.XqAPD
drwxr-sr-x 2 gene gene     4096 Dec  6 19:18 new
drwxr-sr-x 2 gene gene     4096 Dec  6 19:18 tmp

"gene" at 18 megs has 473 msgs in it. And apparently it just made the

cur,new, & tmp dirs. So IDK what the heck is going on, those weren't there
earlier yesterday. Do I need to make procmail put them in one of those dirs?

Thanks Ianseeks.

Cheers, Gene.

--
opensuse:tumbleweed:20211202