Fatal Kmail error after upgrade

David Jarvie djarvie at kde.org
Mon Aug 16 01:46:25 BST 2021

On 15 August 2021 22:10:46 BST, David Jarvie <djarvie at kde.org> wrote:
> I'm upgrading an old system running KDE 4.14, to 20.08. The mail is stored in ~/Mail (which is where I want to it to remain). After a lot of messing about, I finally discovered the Akonadi Maildir resource which showed the mail folder structure under ~/Mail. I then deleted the default Local Folders resource, since it had no obvious use alongside the Maildir resource.
>
> Since then, Kmail displays a fatal error soon after starting, every time:
>
> "The email program encountered a fatal error and will terminate now. The error was:
> Timeout trying to get lock."
>
> Any ideas on how to stop the error happening? It makes Kmail completely unusable.
>
> I've tried reinstalling the Local Folders resource, but it makes no difference.

By deleting Akonadi config and data, and starting again, the fatal error has gone away.

However, I've tried lots of Maildir and Local Folders resource configurations, but I just can't get my existing mail folders in ~/Mail to be seen again. All I see are the default Local Folders, despite the config pointing to ~/Mail where there is no .local-mail.directory folder.

--
David Jarvie
KAlarm author, KDE developer