Message signing popups....

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Wed May 27 22:43:22 BST 2020

On Wednesday May 27 2020 23:11:44 Achim Bohnet wrote:

>I've no slight idea why kleopatra or better GnuPG SMime does not trust those
>root certificates like all   do.  IMHO this is a bug :-(
>
>> How am I supposed to know?
>
>I've no idea too.  Mozilla and Firefox carefully audits the root-certificate
>and the web browser use them for all the trusted https connections. Asking me
>if I know better than they do is quiet silly ;-)

I'm by no means an expert on this sort of thing, but AFAIK it's up to the system vendor or maintainer to keep these certificates up to date, at the store(s) that are used by applications that do not provide their own set of certificates (i.e. your web browsers).
If your system isn't kept up to date as it should in this matter, it will end up running into unknown root certificates, and will have no other option than to ask you trust it.