Item "255451" in collection "108" has no RID.

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Wed May 20 18:10:36 BST 2020

On Wednesday May 20 2020 18:12:42 Werner Joss wrote:

>Have you ever considered running a local (home) Imap server from which you feed your local clients
>(Desktop, Phones, Tablets) ?

What I was going to say (but your local clients feed off the server, not the other way round ;)). The additional advantage is that most if not all IMAP servers use the mbox format for their archiving folders, so if your locally archived mail is stored that way too you should be able to access them via IMAP with little effort.
I've been running such a server for years, for archiving my email. I'm not using it too much any more as the computer it runs on isn't always on and akonadi is a bit annoying with servers like that (it doesn't cache passwords in memory so will ask me to unlock my kwallet every time it polls the server or puts the account in offline mode.
The big issue of using a local imap server with akonadi is that the latter insists on caching emails in its database. That can make sense for remote servers over slow networks, but it doesn't if the server is on the same lan or even on the same machine. And I'm not just thinking of performance or disk space issues here, but about the fact that any changes you make (e.g. flagging) are done in the cached copy, and syncing those back to the server has never been reliable for me (or should I say "reliably never worked") esp. if another akonadi client on a different host is also accessing the same imap server.

>> That all written, probably time for me to test out Kube myself. I bet it
>> is blazingly fast.

You know which client is blazingly fast? Claws mail ;)