PIM does not completely start

Georgi Kourtev gkourtev at gmail.com
Sun Mar 15 15:37:08 GMT 2020

Dear friends,

I badly need help. Since the last computer restart two days ago, PIM (an
all of it separated features like Kmail. Kaddress, etc) does not work. It
seems also there were some software updates before me shutting down the
laptop.

When PIM is started, it gives a message that "Akonadi personal information
management service is not operational". When I start aconadictl through
konsole I got the following input:

QUOTE:
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: Starting up the Akonadi Server...
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: database server stopped unexpectedly
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: Database process exited unexpectedly during
initial connection!
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: executable: "/usr/sbin/mysqld-akonadi"
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: arguments:
("--defaults-file=/home/gkourtev/.local/share/akonadi/mysql.conf",
"--datadir=/home/gkourtev/.local/share/akonadi/db_data/",
"--socket=/run/user/1000/akonadi/default/mysql.socket",
"--pid-file=/run/user/1000/akonadi/default/mysql.pid")
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: stdout: ""
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: stderr: ""
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: exit code: 1
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: process error: "Unknown error"
mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
error: 'Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/run/user/1000/akonadi/default/mysql.socket' (2)'
Check that mysqld is running and that the socket:
'/run/user/1000/akonadi/default/mysql.socket' exists!
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: Failed to remove runtime connection config file
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: Shutting down AkonadiServer...
org.kde.pim.akonadicontrol: Application '/usr/bin/akonadiserver' exited
normally...
UNQUOTE

I read a lot on various forums for these errors, but nothing really helped
me restoring PIM operations.

I will appreciate any advise.

Operating System: Kubuntu 19.10
KDE Plasma Version: 5.16.5