AW: philosophy of design; request for instruction

Volker Heln helm.volker at gmx.de
Wed Jun 10 17:34:39 BST 2020

I also had problems with akonadi until i discovered akonadictl fsck.This checks and repair your database. After that there are only sometimes smaller problems.Running PostgreSQL with around 20 user.Volker Helm------ Originalnachricht------Von: testDatum: Mi., 10. Juni 2020 15:41An: Ian Douglas;kdepim-users at kde.org;Cc: Betreff:Re: philosophy of design; request for instructionOn Tue, 2020-06-09 at 19:32 +0200, Ian Douglas wrote:
> On Tuesday, 09 June 2020 15:38:18 SAST test wrote:
>

> > It depends on what you consider "robust".  My experience is that
> > Gentoos
> > package management is a nightmare, giving you mysterious error messages
> > with every update that are impossible to understand and finally leaves
> > you
> > unable to fix all the dependency problems it's running into because
> > they
> > are not fixable.  After a short while, you run into a dependency loop
> > in
> > that you need to update stuff which needs to be updated before you can
> > update, and at point, you
 have to reinstall from scratch.

> YMMV, but I've been running Gentoo on assorted boxes since 2005 and have
> never
> had to re-install. Portage usually tells you what the problem is if there
> are
> dependency issues, and the forums help when you get stuck.

Yes, YMMV, but:

Who understands these messages and can figure out how to fix the problems?
 I had to ask on the mailing list all the time and could only hope that the
messages would go away after a while after more updates.  Some didn't and
new messages kept coming on every update.

I was told that yes, the messages suck and there is no interest in fixing
them because it's difficult.  I was told I need to update at least once a
week to run into less problems with updating.  Seriously?

Spending several hours on each update trying to fix the problems and
running the risk that things simply don't work anymore is not feasible.
 The idea of doing that once a week is ridiculous unless it's your full
time job maybe and when you
 have only one machine to deal with.  It's not
an option to reboot the severs like every other week because you were
forced to update because otherwise they become impossible to update.  It's
not even an option to reboot servers during working hours because it means
that others can't work anymore, and spending the whole night trying to fix
dependency problems isn't feasible, either, especially when things are not
likely to work again in the morning.

In the end, updating became entirely impossible because of a dependency
loop.  Gentoo means that you may be forced to reinstall all machines after
your vacation is over because it has become impossible to update them.

It was a nightmare I really don't need.  It is something that the OP could
experience when he tries Gentoo.  Perhaps it helps him with making his
decision.