philosophy of design; request for instruction

Ian Douglas ian at zti.co.za
Tue Jun 9 18:32:56 BST 2020

On Tuesday, 09 June 2020 15:38:18 SAST test wrote:

> It depends on what you consider "robust".  My experience is that Gentoos
> package management is a nightmare, giving you mysterious error messages
> with every update that are impossible to understand and finally leaves you
> unable to fix all the dependency problems it's running into because they
> are not fixable.  After a short while, you run into a dependency loop in
> that you need to update stuff which needs to be updated before you can
> update, and at point, you have to reinstall from scratch.

YMMV, but I've been running Gentoo on assorted boxes since 2005 and have never
had to re-install. Portage usually tells you what the problem is if there are
dependency issues, and the forums help when you get stuck.

Cheers, Ian

--
ian at zti.co.za http://www.zti.co.za
Zero 2 Infinity - The net.works