philosophy of design; request for instruction

Nick Wiltshire nick at customdesigns.ca
Tue Jun 9 01:39:55 BST 2020

On Monday, June 8, 2020 5:49:36 PM MDT Peter Humphrey wrote:
> On Monday, 8 June 2020 20:00:31 BST Erik Quaeghebeur wrote:
> > On maandag 8 juni 2020 18:13:23 CEST, Paul Vixie wrote:
> > > Kontact Version 5.14.1 (20.04.0)
> > > KDE Frameworks 5.70.0
> > > Qt 5.15.0 (built against 5.15.0)
> > > The xcb windowing system
> > >
> > > how do i get a KDE PIM that new without using an OS that's crossed over
> > > systemd?
> >
> > Gentoo <https://gentoo.org/> can deliver this, of course. It is different
> > from other distributions in multiple ways, so you'll have to learn how to
> > do things the Gentoo way. But much is the same. It brings with it its own
> > set of time-sucking issues.
> >
> > I like Gentoo, because it gives me (the feeling of being in) control,
> > which
> > I do not have with debian/Suse/Fedora.
>
> The main thing Paul would have to learn is its package management system,
> which is true of any distro. It's complex, but wonderfully capable and
> robust, and if I can do it, so can anyone else. Then there's compiling the
> kernel yourself, but there are tools to help with that. The system
> documentation is pretty good too, and there's an active, helpful user email
> list.

https://github.com/gg7/gentoo-kernel-guide[1]
This script has made kernel updates very simple for me, even allowing for different drivers
across machines.

He prefers to pull git from the mainline kernel. I've adapted mine to use eselect and make
use of Gentoo patched kernels.

As an anecdote, I've been running kde pim on Gentoo for quite a number of years and I'm
always somewhat surprised to hear so  many still struggling with Akonadi. My email "just
works" 99% of the time.

Learning Gentoo's package system does take some determination though. Sometimes it
has output that baffles me. But the forums are a great help. Sometimes if there's a block I
can't resolve I just remove the offending package and it gets reinserted as a dependency.

My only real complaint is how long it takes to compile qtwebengine....

--------
[1] https://github.com/gg7/gentoo-kernel-guide