kmail has messed up the email accounts

David Jarvie djarvie at kde.org
Wed Jun 3 00:36:41 BST 2020

On Tuesday 02 Jun 2020 21:24:03 test wrote:
> I don't dislike the functionality.  What I strongly dislike is this concept
> of having multiple identities.
>
> It usually takes a long time for people before they have figured out who
> they are, and it is difficult enough.  In a way, it is disrespectful and
> offensive that a MUA should force a user to assume multiple identities just
> to be able to use several email accounts (for different purposes).

You seem to be interpreting email identity as equivalent to personal identity.
The word identity in this context simply refers to a way of distinguishing
something from other things.

KMail identities are merely *email* identities, or in other words email
address/name pairs which some users find useful to use in different contexts (as
some of the other contributors to this thread have mentioned). An email
identity doesn't necessarily bear any relation to a person's social or
psychological identity. For example, your email identity "test <test at ...>"
doesn't, as far as I can tell, reflect your personal identity - you prefer to
keep your name and other aspects of your identity private.

--
David Jarvie.
KDE developer.