Does KMail require Akonadi?

Martin Steigerwald martin at lichtvoll.de
Thu Jul 2 16:11:03 BST 2020

Martin Steigerwald - 02.07.20, 16:27:33 CEST:
> rhkramer at gmail.com - 02.07.20, 14:02:14 CEST:
> > Sorry for hijacking this thread, but this may be a good time / set
> > of
> > people to ask"
>
> Why not just start a new thread?
>
> We had this topic quite some times before. Yes, current KMail requires
> Akonadi to function. Period.

Sorry, if that sounded harsh.

I just found it completely unnecessary to hijack a thread. It is not
that threads cost anything or so. You start a new mail, let KMail
autocomplete to kdepim-users mailing list address, choose a subject line
and then write your text. Done.

Regarding your questions about migrating Ingo answered already.

I never used the KMail import function for any local mails from an older
installation. Instead I just created a new resource maildir or in the
case of old pre-Akonadi KMail mixed maildir and pointed it at the old
data.

On any account: Make a backup of anything and make sure it works, before
you migrate.

Best,
--
Martin