Does KMail require Akonadi? (was: Re: Frustrating to use KMail with Akonadi 5.14.1 (20.04))

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Thu Jul 2 14:54:49 BST 2020

On Donnerstag, 2. Juli 2020 14:02:14 CEST rhkramer at gmail.com wrote:
> I currently use kmail 1.13.7 on kde 4.8.4 (on Debian Wheezy) as my daily
> (email) driver.  I have Nepomuk (or whatever it uses shut off.)
>
> I have something like 500k old emails in folders and probably see (or not
> see ;-) 300 to 1000 emails per day.
>
> I'm a little afraid to move off kmail 1.13.7 for a variety of reasons, but
> among them the problems I hear related to akonadi and, presumably, the
> associated problems with handling fairly large quantities of emails.
>
> So, my question is this -- if I'd upgrade to Buster and try to use the kmail
> version there (5.9.3), how likely am I to have problems?

I cannot answer how likely you are going to have problems because the variety
among different Linux installations and the usage scenarios of KMail are just
too big.

What I can say is that I (using KMail 5.10.3 on openSUSE Leap 15.1 and, on a
different computer, using the most recent version of KMail on openSUSE
Tumbleweed) don't have serious problems with KMail. I'm using KMail only with
IMAP accounts. KMail has problems if I try to open one of my large local
folders.

I strongly suggest to start with a freshly setup KMail after the upgrade to
Buster. Trying to upgrade your old setup of KMail to the new version of KMail
will likely cause problems.