How to refresh Kontact adressbook

Henk van Velden henk.vanvelden at xs4all.nl
Sat Jan 18 16:07:39 GMT 2020

On Saturday, 18 January 2020 16:11:00 CET Thomas Tanghus wrote:
> On Saturday, 28 December 2019 14.37 Henk van Velden wrote:
> > My Kontact uses a few addressbooks f the type VCard directory.
> > When I edit (add, remove) an address in Kontakt, the correcponding VCard
> > file is udated (created, removed).
> > But when another user of that VCard directory edits (or adds or removes),
> > that is not "seen" by Kontakt.
> >
> > I "solve" this by removing the addressbook from Kontakt and adding it
> > anew. A lot of clicking around and not very user friendly.
> >
> > What is the preferred way of keeping your Kontact synced with the
> > addressbooks contents.
>
> I don't use VCard Directory, but CardDAV, but it should be the same.
> In Kontact/Contacts there is a list of address books with folder. Right-
> click on a folder and choose "Update address book folder" (or press f-5).
>
> You can add it as a tool bar entry also.

Thanks a lot for the reaction.

I am a bit confused for several reasons.

To begin with, the panel with contacts is empty but I have an Addrress Book
(at the left) checked for showing. A vaguely remember that all was emptied
when I tried that "Update Adress Book Folder" weeks ago for the first time (I
asuume you mean that and it is realy an obvious thing to do).

What I did then was removing it and adding it new. Then I had the addresses
again, but now that does not work. All stays empty.

I have to add of course that I checked that those directories exist and are
full of VCard files.

I am also confused by the wording in that context menu. It taks about "Address
Book" and about "Address Book Folder". What is the difference?

When I look in Properties, it says
Content: 112 objects (which correct)
Size: 0B (????)

There is a Tab there Retrieval. It is fixed on: Use options from parent folder
or account. No idea what that means

And the Update Address Book Folder (or F5) has no visibal results.
--
Met vriendelijke groet,
Henk van Velden