[KDE-pim] New Install: AKONADI wit PostgreSQL

Martin Steigerwald martin at lichtvoll.de
Thu Dec 31 11:39:51 GMT 2020

Anders Lund - 31.12.20, 12:25:53 CET:
> torsdag den 31. december 2020 08.49.36 CET skrev Paul Vixie:
> > while i agree that pgsql's upgrade process could be simpler
>
> An easy way is to just delete the database. Akonadi will then create a
> new, functional one. Maybe evil - but simple. Works for me, with mail
> stored on IMAP and contacts and calendar on nextcloud. :)

Unfortunately Akonadi is not just a cache as I understood it initially.

For IMAP a mail that it could not yet store onto the IMAP server due to
whatever may just sit in the database. To my knowledge possibly
indefinitely as Akonadi would not try again. That are those payloads
without remote id.

For POP3 with local folders AFAIK this can happen as well. On top of
that filters you defined would point to invalid folders after recreating
the database. Meanwhile KMail seems to detect that and it will ask to
select the folder for every filter, which can be tedious, if you have
many.

I defended Akonadi many times. Meanwhile I think there are just too many
conceptional issues with it, that I think it may be beneficial to re-
think all of it and start from scratch. But that is a major undertaking
as well.

I think it is too much to ask from the user of a PIM suite to deal with
database administration tasks of any kind. And now, IMHO an automatic
update of PostgreSQL from Akonadi is not going to solve it. Especially
as there are many failure points for such an automatic update, if you
ask me.

I am using Evolution at work due to Office 365 and EWS plugin just being
so much more reliable for Evolution. I never ever dealt with how
Evolution stores mails. Actually I do not even know it. IMHO that is how
it is supposed to be.

Best,
--
Martin