[KDE-pim] New Install: AKONADI wit PostgreSQL

Hessler, Klaus-Michael mailinglisten at kmHessler.de
Tue Dec 29 13:52:29 GMT 2020

@ All,

I'd like to thank everybody for his input and appreciate, that my
question has met with so much interest.

Nevertheless, I have to say, that esp. the messages from Bjoern caused
more questions than answers for me: I'm not a software engineer but only
a simple user. Moreover, looking at different sources, in several cases
I found even contradictory definitions, like I've documented in an
earlier e-mail in this thread. From this page
<https://userbase.kde.org/Akonadi/Postgres_update> I understood, that
using Akonadi with PostgreSQL needs to have both the old and new
PostgreSQL versions installed for an update. This sounds like an
adventure for me.

Finally I checked, which applications are using Akonadi and found from
this page <https://userbase.kde.org/Akonadi>:

  * KMail,
  * KAddressBook,
  * KOrganizer,
  * KJots,
  * KAlarm.

For myself it's only regrettable to do without KAlarm, but I found an
acceptable alternative in alarm-clock-applet
<http://alarm-clock.pseudoberries.com/>.
So for the future I'll try to live without Akonadi.

Thanks again. Wish you a good and happy New Year 2021.
Regards, Michael