Clicking links in emails leads to spam windows in browser

Erik Quaeghebeur kdepim-users at equaeghe.nospammail.net
Fri Apr 3 08:46:38 BST 2020

Ian wrote:

> Last day or so, if I click a link in an email, then instead of
> opening a new tab in the running instance of Firefox, it opens a Firefox
> window, loads the destination URL in first tab, then tries to fill 3 more tabs with adverts.

* Is this a specific link, or any link?
* Can you share the link?
* Is this in a text (part) or html email?

> This does not happen if I copy the URL and paste it in the location bar in Firefox.

* Do you mean copy from the url bar in firefox, from the email, or, in case
it is from an html email, by right-clicking the link and copying the url.
* If it is an html mail, can you share both the visible link (text) and the
underlying url? (Perhaps even the entire contents of the anchor <a>…</a>.)

> Which implies it is something happening BEFORE it gets to
> Firefox.... either in Kmail or somewhere between the two.

If it is an html mail and you click that link, it may be that it
specificies a ‘_blank’ target, which could lead to the desktop/Firefox
opening a new window. That depends on Firefox settings.

> Has anyone else experienced this?

Not me.

> Hope my system has not been compromised somehow ...

There are still other explanations possible: link in html mail that
specifies a _blank target, with an underlying url that goes to a page that
opens multiple tabs, including the one you want.

Best,

Erik