emails gathering up in 'Local Folders->outbox'

test test at adminart.net
Tue Sep 17 20:36:37 BST 2019

On Tuesday, 17 September 2019 20:00:23 CEST Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Montag, 16. September 2019 23:03:52 CEST test wrote:

> > > Yes, that's the idea. Once they were sent they should be moved to the
> > > Local
> > > Folders->sent-mail (unless you have configured a different folder for
> > > sent
> > > mail).
> >
> > Each of the IMAP accounts is supposed to have its own folder for sent
> > mail.
> > It won't make sense to put all messages that were sent into the same
> > folder.
> >
> > As far as I can see, the messages are being put into the sent folder as I
> > expected, depending on their IMAP accounts.  Since this is no more than an
> > operation with which the message is stored on the IMAP server by the
> > client, it doesn't say anything about the delivery of the message.
>
> Indirectly it does because KMail moves the messages to the sent folders
> after they have been sent (i.e. delivered to the outgoing mail server)
> successfully.

That messages were delivered to an MTA doesn't mean that they were delivered.

> > > Are you sure that the emails located in outbox actually have been sent.
> > > If
> > > sending failed, then on selection of an email you should see a note
> > > stating
> > > that sending failed and why it failed.
> >
> > At least some of the messages have been sent --- otherwise you wouldn't
> > have received the post I made to the list, and others.  Unfortunately, it
> > doesn't show in the list of messages within the outbox what the status of
> > any of the messages are; each message needs to carry its status
> > information.
> >
> > Usually, there's a notification that the message was sent, which may be
> > true or not.  Nothing happens when I use 'File->Send Queued Messages'.
> > When I look at 'File->Delayed Messages ...', a window comes up that says
> > that there are no messages waiting.
> >
> > > You can retry sending the messages via File->Send Queued Messages.
> >
> > There is an increasing number of messages in the outbox, and nothing
> > happens when I do that.
>
> Hmm, I'm sorry, but I have no idea what could be wrong. The only thing I can
> think of is a permission problem with the outbox folder on disk. Maybe the
> email files cannot be deleted by KMail for some reason.

Hmm, do you know where I can set which directory to use store this "local
folders" thing?  Apparently kmail insists on creating a directory in my home
directory named 'file:' with some folder hierarchy that might contain the
"local folders" thing.

Deleting this awkwardly named directory only created it anew.  After removing
all permissions from the directory, kmail seems to have now only outbox and
sent-mail within the "local folders" thing.  If the awkward directory keeps
coming back, there must be some place to configure this.