When will akonadi work with Gmail?

Peter Humphrey peter at prh.myzen.co.uk
Sat Nov 16 17:43:18 GMT 2019

On Saturday, 16 November 2019 13:44:52 GMT René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> On Saturday November 16 2019 12:58:13 Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> >Well I believe, Jesus, the original poster, would like to have details.
>
> Me too, if not only for possible future reference when the subject comes up
> again on the generic ML.

Okay, well my starting position was with a single IMAP server on a LAN host,
whose job is to fetchmail POP3 from my ISP and serve it to me here in IMAP. I
had no other accounts unless you count Local Folders

First, create an app password for KMail. Go to https://support.google.com/
accounts/answer/185833?hl=en (I found this page by googling for "google app
passwords"). Follow the instructions under Create & use App Passwords. At step
4 I entered "KMail on Gentoo Linux". After step 6, Generate, copy the password
they give you; you'll use it in KMail.

Next, in Configure KMail, create a new Receiving account by clicking Add and
choosing Custom Account (if you don't choose Custom, you'll be sent through
the standard, failing google process; you'll also finish up with gmail as your
default outgoing server). Give it a Name in the General tab, and enter
imap.googlemail.com as the IMAP server (not imap.gmail.com, which won't work
until the legalities have been sorted out). Enter your gmail address as
<user>@gmail.com, and paste in the password you Generated on google.com.

On the Advanced tab, choose SSL/TLS, port 993 and Plain authentication.

Save the account, and check that your outgoing accounts haven't been touched.
You should now be able to connect to gmail.com.

This is a potted version of much fiddling about and appealing for help. Not
much of this is my own work, so thanks are due to too many people to list.

Peter.

Gentoo stable system, openrc-0.41.2
gcc 9.2.0, sys-kernel/gentoo-sources 4.19.82
QT 5.12.3, KDE frameworks 5.60.0, KDE plasma 5.16.5
KDE apps 19.04.3 incl KMail 19.04.3 (5.11.3), akonadi 19.04.3
dev-db/mariadb-10.2.22-r1, net-libs/webkit-gtk-2.24.2
x11-drivers/xf86-video-amdgpu 19.0.1
dev-libs/amdgpu-pro-opencl-19.30.838629