KMail/Akonadi grief

Martin Steigerwald martin at lichtvoll.de
Mon Nov 11 16:16:46 GMT 2019

Hi Anders,

Anders Lund - 11.11.19, 16:49:46 CET:
> I switched akonadi to using postgresql, and it definately feels like
> it operates more smoothly than before.
>
> But I still get the KMail BSOD (the "fetching folder content..."
> screen) :(
>
> I still do not understand why KMail does not prioritize showing the
> mail, when the header is clicked. All other mail clients I know of
> does that, and it is the number on function of a mail client - let
> the user read his mail.

I feel with you. I reported this as a bug a long time ago. And Akonadi
developers are aware of it. Just fixing it is a complex task.

The main issue is that Akonadi basically can only do one thing at once.
It does not really multitask. According to Dan there are plans to change
that. As there are still plans to revamp the indexing/search
infrastructure to be much more lightweight.

> Any tips to convince KMail to do that will be wellcome :-)

I have none, expect probably given PostgreSQL more memory.

It is mostly okay for me, but at times I wait a bit as well, so… I may
look into the PostgreSQL configuration and give it more memory. This
laptop has 16 GiB of RAM, so giving a bit more to PostgreSQL would not
be a problem. When I did with MariaDB back then, it helped a bit. That
was at least my subjective impression.

Thanks,
--
Martin