KMail/Akonadi grief

Paul Vixie paul at redbarn.org
Mon Nov 11 15:55:55 GMT 2019

Anders Lund wrote on 2019-11-11 07:49:
> Hi,
>
> I switched akonadi to using postgresql, and it definately feels like it
> operates more smoothly than before.
>
> But I still get the KMail BSOD (the "fetching folder content..." screen) :(

i have bound "toggle online/offline" to control-space, and when i see
that screen, i hit control-space twice, and 90% of the time it
unfreezes. the other 10% of the time i have to stop kontact/kmail,
"killall" kontact/kmail from a shell, and run "akonadictl fsck" then
"akonadictl vacuum" then "akonadictl stop". then i restart kontact/kmail
and it restarts akonadi and all is well again for several hours.

> I still do not understand why KMail does not prioritize showing the mail, when
> the header is clicked. All other mail clients I know of does that, and it is
> the number on function of a mail client - let the user read his mail.
>
> Any tips to convince KMail to do that will be wellcome :-)

the libraries for KDE, and the C++ programming language and runtime, are
complexity personified. doing something asynchronous like this is very
hard on the easiest day, and KDE + C++ never offer an easy day for it.

--
P Vixie