Switching directories from maildir to mbox in kmail 4.14.1

rhkramer at gmail.com rhkramer at gmail.com
Mon May 20 19:02:54 BST 2019

On Sunday, May 19, 2019 03:45:10 AM René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> On Saturday May 18 2019 21:47:31 rhkramer at gmail.com wrote:
> >> I need to switch them bo mbox -- how do I do that?

> Looking over the different agents I only see a single one that doesn't seem
> specific to the maildir format: the mbox agent. But that one will support
> only a single mbox, not a folder with any number of mbox files in it (if
> that's what you're after).
>
> I have long used a different approach: I set up an imap server on the host
> where I want to archive my mail, and configure a directory for my email
> that's accessible over imap. I can do any kind of organisation of email
> into mail folders that I want, and know that each of those folders will be
> an mbox file at a known location on disk. The only drawback with kmail and
> the like is that you need to jump through some hoops to prevent getting
> additional copies of that archived email in the akonadi database. That,
> and akonadi doesn't support the usual imap server root directory property
> that Thunderbird and most other MUAs add on top of the imap standard. You
> will thus need an imap server that can be configured to serve a
> configurable location for each user rather than the user's home directory
> (because akonadi will happily try to index EVERYTHING under there).

Thanks for the response -- I'll read over that again, but it sounds like more
effort than I want to go to, at least at the present time.

For now, I'm using two gmail accounts, both subscribed to the lists that are
relevant to my work on the Jessie system.  I'll use the Jessie system to read
and respond (or write) the emails that I need to deal with re the work I'm
doing there, but let them be archived on my Wheezy system where they are
stored in mbox files.

I guess I'll have to dig deeper into the later versions of kmail -- if mbox is
no longer supported (when I eventually upgrade to Buster or later), I'll be
looking for a new email client.