Kmail not syncing read/unread state with imap mailbox

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Thu May 2 18:34:13 BST 2019

On Thursday May 02 2019 18:17:28 Daniel Vrátil wrote:

> Does this happen exclusively with Gmail? We do handle Gmail a little bit
> differently from other IMAP server (because Gmail's broken). Could you try and

Again, FWIW because related to 4.14, but there I indeed only see state syncing issues with GMail accounts.
And I just observed something there that may give an indication as to what's going on:

- I had an email from this morning in my inbox which I hadn't yet read; KMail showed it as such
- I went to the account's "All Mail" folder, waited for it to re-sync then read that mail
- going back to the inbox the email was still there and still showed as unread
- attempts to "Update Folder" and "Update Folder and Subfolders" had no effect as if they were ignored (not even a progress bar)

I could confirm this with other emails. I then went to do something else and when I came back an hour or so later the emails did show as read.

The most straightforward explanation would be that state changes are not picked up and/or that gmail's IMAP server doesn't generate whatever notification standard imap servers generate in such a situation. If in addition kmail doesn't "bother" to re-read email for the duration it is configured to keep downloaded copies you (probably) end up with what we're seeing.

R.