Massive kmail breakage with mariadb-10.4.6

Peter Humphrey peter at prh.myzen.co.uk
Sat Jun 22 10:07:46 BST 2019

Hello lists,

Yesterday's routine update took mariadb from 10.3.16 to 10.4.6. When I came to
look at my emails today, kmail couldn't do anything. To start with, it was
stuck in an endless, looping attempt to display the current email. Then it
couldn't archive the inbox, then it couldn't import from an archive. I
couldn't even move an email from one folder to another. Akonadictl fsck and
vacuum seemed to run but didn't improve anything. Even reverting to an old
copy of my home directory didn't help.

Eventually I noticed that mariadb had been upgraded, so I masked the latest
version and reverted to the older one. Lo! and Behold! Kmail sprang back into
life.

I've sent this to both the relevant lists; I hope that's not a heinous
transgression.

--
Gentoo testing system
gcc 9.1.0, sys-kernel/gentoo-sources 5.1.12