Why does kmail insist on having ldap available?

Daniel Vrátil dvratil at kde.org
Mon Jul 29 09:41:03 BST 2019

On Thursday, 25 July 2019 11:26:50 CEST Peter Humphrey wrote:
> I've just noticed my Gentoo system updating openldap and looked into what
> needed it. All dependencies were conditional except for kldap, which
> requires it. Then I found that six KDE apps insist on kdap and thus
> openldap.
>
> My question: why is ldap not optional? What proportion of user installations
> actually use it?

As far as I can see LDAP is used by Kleopatra (to lookup GPG keys in LDAP
directory), email address autocompletion in KMail composer and in KOrganizer
incidence editor to look up attendees in LDAP directory (there's probably
more, I just quickly grepped the codebase).  I'm not sure about Kleopatra, but
in case of the autocompletion and incidence editor the LDAP integration could
be turned into proper optional plugins, but let's face it: we have bigger
issues right now :-)

Any help with this effort would be much welcomed, though, I'd be happy to
guide/help with this task, if anyone's interested.

/Dan

--
Daniel Vrátil
www.dvratil.cz | dvratil at kde.org

GPG Key: 0x4D69557AECB13683
Fingerprint: 0ABD FA55 A4E6 BEA9 9A83 EA97 4D69 557A ECB1 3683