why is there so much "weird shit" in akonadi/kdepim?

John White john at lawquest.com
Sun Dec 15 20:52:44 GMT 2019

On Sunday, December 15, 2019 1:45:25 AM PST Anders Lund wrote:
> søndag den 15. december 2019 09.34.50 CET skrev Ianseeks:
> > On Saturday, 14 December 2019 17:58:09 GMT salamandir wrote:
> > > On Thursday, 12 December 2019 23:12:04 PST Ianseeks, an eminent
> > > manifestation>

> > > if this is the case, is there any plan for making postgres (or something
> > > other than akonadi) default in a future release?
> >
> > Sorry, i have no idea - thats a choice for the distro/devs etc
>
> Switching to pgsql is very simple - install it and change a single line in
> ~/.config/akonadi/akonadiserverrc:
> Driver=QPSQL
>
> Before editing the file run
> $ akonadictl stop
>
> and after
> $akonadictl start
>
> --
> kindly,
> Anders

I am thinking of switching to pgsql but am very nervous.  I live in kmail.  Over the
years I have tried several email clients and kmail, with all its faults, is still the best.
At least for pop3.

If pgsql will solve some of the existing problems, and I know exactly what to do in
order to make the switch, and if I won't lose ability to search my old kmail files, I
want to try it.  But I don't understand why, if pgsql is better, the developers don't
use it.  I don't understand why, if akonadi is "junk", why the kmail developers still
use it.  It there anyway to get some kind of consensus as to which is better and
whether switching causes other problems?  Is there some way to get some input
from the developers concerning this matter?

John White