why is there so much "weird shit" in akonadi/kdepim?

Erik Quaeghebeur kdepim-users at equaeghe.nospammail.net
Thu Dec 12 14:46:45 GMT 2019

> - i have a "lost+found" folder in my mail, […].
> the folder is permanently offline, so I can't do anything about it.

Try investigating with akonadiconsole. I've had one of those and in
akonadiconsole you can do that little bit more.

> - sometimes when i move emails from one folder to another the mails do
> get moved on the imap server, but in kmail they stay behind in the
> source folder and no amount of akonadictl restart and/or restarting
> kontact convinces the system that the mails have been moved

I mostly encounter the reverse thing: messages changed in kmail but not on
the server. Usually it turns out that they're ‘dirty’.

Also caldav events can get dirty, but they're even worse, as any event
created after the first one became dirty (e.g., because of a flaky internet
connection; akonadi's syncing is not really robust) also becomes dirty. I
permanently keep open an akonadiconsole with a view of the PimItemTable in
the DB Browser, to check whether any entry is dirty. If that is the case, I
delete it using the Browser and, if necessary, delete some sync file in
~/.config/akonadi (while akonadi is stopped).

I agree that KDEPIM requires an inordinate amount of maintenance to keep
running. But kmail's filtering, Zanshin, and addressbook integration are
still valuable enough for me to do that maintenance. I know that the
developers have too little manpower to really deal with all the issues that
exist, but there is progress.

Success,

Erik