All local folders lost in KMail

Peter Humphrey peter at prh.myzen.co.uk
Thu Aug 15 14:50:18 BST 2019

On Wednesday, 14 August 2019 18:42:42 BST René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> On Wednesday August 14 2019 17:30:38 Peter Humphrey wrote:
> > my mail on the local IMAP server instead of fetching it here. I've only
> > had
> > that in place since it became clear that KMail would never be fault free
> > with POP accounts.
>
> I'm always a bit surprised when I see people are actually still using that
> old, cumbersome protocol (POP3). I'd most likely configure the account(s)
> in question as external(s) in one of my gmail accounts, have gmail fetch
> the mail, filter it etc. and then read it over IMAP.

I've been using e-mail since long before social media were invented; that
means using my ISP's POP service because they don't offer IMAP. I could use
gmail, but at the moment KMail can't authenticate with it. So that leaves me
with POP, or fetchmail, postfix and dovecot on a little box to fetch the POP
mail and serve it to me over IMAP.

My searches suggest that all other email providers require the use of their
own user interfaces, which is no good to me: I just want simple,
straightforward text and HTML emails streamed to my desktop and filtered into
folders. Simple, no?

> If you already have a local IMAP server, why not use that for archiving
> (with the account configured to cache as little as possible in the akonadi
> db to prevent too much redundancy? The reason I use IMAP for archiving is
> that it's MUA-agnostic, and the actual folders are simple files I can hack
> into with vi if I have a reason to.

Having now created a new user for myself and setting KMail up in it, several
dozen times just in the last month or two, I can't see any benefit of that
extra complication. On my box, KMail is just too fragile, and I don't know
why.

Regards,
Peter.
Gentoo stable system, openrc-0.41.2
gcc 8.3.0, sys-kernel/gentoo-sources 4.19.66
QT 5.12.3, KDE frameworks 5.60.0, KDE plasma 5.15.5
KDE apps 19.04.3 incl KMail 19.04.3 (5.11.3), akonadi 19.04.3
dev-db/mariadb-10.2.22-r1, net-libs/webkit-gtk-2.24.2
x11-drivers/xf86-video-amdgpu 19.0.1
dev-libs/amdgpu-pro-opencl 19.10.785425-r1