Not all that much better with PostgreSQL

Daniel Vrátil dvratil at kde.org
Wed Apr 17 14:42:49 BST 2019

On Friday, 12 April 2019 19:39:04 CEST Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Since five (!) minutes I am trying to access a mail in a folder that has
> been indexed before and just got the "Retrieving …" thing. Now, it
> finally came up.
>
> Why? Likely cause I happened to click on a folder that has not been
> indexed and then Akonadi prioritized indexing the folder over my most
> recent request.
>
> This in my opinion has been the major issue with Akonadi for years and
> still is the major issue:
>
> Whenever Akonadi decides that it needs to do something in the
> background, it often *completely* stops responding to any user requests.

This is a known issue with maildir/online imap folders, has been known since
forever. I do understand it is frustrating to wait for an email to appear just
because something else triggered a long-running background operation.

There's a fix for this in the making, aiming at 19.08 if everything goes
according to the plan.

--
Daniel Vrátil
www.dvratil.cz | dvratil at kde.org

GPG Key: 0x4D69557AECB13683
Fingerprint: 0ABD FA55 A4E6 BEA9 9A83 EA97 4D69 557A ECB1 3683