kmail issue/feature request

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sat Sep 8 19:50:45 BST 2018

On Freitag, 7. September 2018 16:34:56 CEST Peter Humphrey wrote:
> On Friday, 7 September 2018 12:23:44 BST René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> > On Friday September 07 2018 10:23:12 Peter Humphrey wrote:
> > > account, so I then have to log on to GMail and delete everything there
> > > by
> > > hand.
> > >
> > > Perhaps I've missed something in the GMail setup.
> >
> > Yes, GMail can be tricky like that. You may try setting "Automatically
> > compact folders (expunges deleted messages)" in the advanced account
> > preferences. That solved a few other things for me too. But I don't think
> > it was required for the expiry feature which (I think) just moves
> > messages to GMail's trash bin. Which is exactly as I want it.
>
> That's already set, and I've set the wastebin target as my local one, so
> there should be nothing left upstream.

That might (or might not) be the problem. GMail seems to be very insistent not
to delete any mail. After all, GMail gives you unlimited (?) mail storage, so
why would anybody want to delete anything from their GMail account (and thus
deprive Google from repeatedly scanning your mail in order to improve your
GMail experience). :/