Caching local resources

Shridhar Daithankar ghodechhap at ghodechhap.net
Sat Sep 8 02:43:43 BST 2018

On शनिवार, ८ सप्टेंबर, २०१८ १२:४८:४७ म.पू. IST Anders Lund wrote:
> fredag den 7. september 2018 18.09.00 CEST skrev Shridhar Daithankar:
> > On शुक्रवार, ७ सप्टेंबर, २०१८ ९:००:४७ म.उ. IST Anders Lund wrote:
> > > Why? Disk space is not so expensive, and akonadi resources also provides
> > > lots of benefits, such as monitoring changes and providing uniform
> > > access.
> > > Since kmail bases access to mails on akonadi, I believe it is completely
> > > out of question in any case.
> >
> > I am asking for disabling the caching, not the akonadi resources.
> >
> > Unless akonadi resources cannot work without a cache?
>
> AFAIK akonadi keeps track of metadata (such the headers nessecary), not the
> mail bodies.

Which is ok, but this data does not need to be cached. It can be fetched
everytime.

The reason I am asking is, if feasible, I would like to file a feature request
where akonadi caching can be disabled for local resources and can optionally
be disabled for other resources.

The later case applies where I run a local IMAP server.

This will save space and processing as detailed in another message in the
thread.

More importantly, I hope to get rid of several short-lived annoying data
behehaviours of akonadi. There are too many of them to report and not all of
them have reproduction, making the overall experience annoying enough.

If for nothing else, whenever somebody reports a problem and if it can be
fixed by disabling caching, the devs can know which layer to look into. This
could help in further debugging the problem.

And for the resources that benefit from caching, what is the procedure to
resync the cache?

Thanks.
--
Regards