Caching local resources

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 17:36:53 BST 2018

On Friday September 07 2018 17:30:47 Anders Lund wrote:

>Why? Disk space is not so expensive, and akonadi resources also provides lots

Maybe, but full is full, and there are systems where you cannot easily add additional (internal) space or even replace the internal disk with something bigger.

Lives can be cheap too but would you waste them? ;) Seriously, I agree that it's not a good approach to copy potentially huge amount of local data lightly just because "disk is cheap".
The IMAP agent has an option to retrieve message bodies on command only and discard that data after a selectable amount of time. For local data that option should be the default and the duration could be (almost) 0 because of the negligible cost of fetching a new copy.

>of benefits, such as monitoring changes

How does monitoring change require caching? How then does the caching algorithm know there's something new to cache? (remember the homunculus? ;) )

R.