Kmail badly broken

E. Hakan Duran ehakanduran at gmail.com
Sat Oct 27 01:47:34 BST 2018

Hi Volker,

On Friday, October 26, 2018 10:29:22 AM CDT Volker Wysk wrote:
> If I was to set up and configure Kmail again, which files in ~/.config,
> ~/.local or ~/.kde (or others) should I delete?

Please find below the text I cut from a previous email from Dan, which details how to backup and restore Kmail/Akonadi. I hope it helps answering your question.

Thanks,

Hakan

---------------------
the following should be a complete set of things to archive for Akonadi +
KMail.

~/.local/share/akonadi/
Akonadi DB + data: you can omit search_db (Akonadi Search Index, see below),
since it will be reindexed. You could omit file_db_data too, but then you will
suffer the horrible penalty of Akonadi redownloading all the data (especially
if you use offline IMAP) and the search won't work properly until all is
downloaded (if you did not backup search_db too).

~/.local/share/baloo/{calendar,contact,collections,email,emailContacts,notes}/
Akonadi Search Index: historically it is in ~/.local/share/baloo, but if you
wiped and recrated your index recently, then ~/.local/share/baloo will be
empty and the indexes will be stored in ~/.local/share/akonadi/search_db (as
mentioned above)

~/.local/share/kmail2/
KMail2 data

~/.local/share/messageviewer/
Custom header themes, if you had any

~/.config/akonadi/
Akonadi agent configuration. You want that.

~/.config/akonadi_*rc
Agents' own configuration. You want that too.

~/.config/baloorc
For historical reasons baloorc contains configuration of the Akonadi Search
Index. Current git master has migrated the configuration to
~/.config/akonadi_indexing_agentrc.

~/.config/emailidentities
KMail email identities

~/.config/foldermailarchive
If you use Archiving

~/.config/kmail*rc
KMail configuration

~/.config/mailtransport
Sending account configuration (SMTP)

~/.config/specialmailcollectionsrc
Magic.

~/.kde/share/apps/kabc/
Historically, contains local contacts.

~/.local/share/contacts
New location for local contacts.

~/.kde/share/apps/korganizer/
Histroically, contains local calendars

~/.local/share/local-mail (sometimes also ~/.local/share/.local-mail)
Content of "Local Folders"

Dan